We all know library cards provide insider access to books, movies and music, but do you know how many other things a library card can do for you? The following are seven bonuses many libraries offer to their cardholders. Check with your local library to see what offers it has on tap.
- Audiobook and eBook downloads—right to your phone. That’s right, you don’t even have to drive to the library! With apps like OverDrive, hoopla and RBdigital, libraries can give you access to thousands of digital reading and audio materials on your smartphone.
- Admission to local museums. Your library card could get you discounted or free admission to a variety of local museums, educational centers and zoos.
- Subscription-based databases. Many libraries pay the cost of expensive online databases so you don’t have to. This means your library card can get you free access to research journals, job listings and even online tutoring platforms.
- Printing services. You probably know your library has free WiFi and computers for use, but did you know it has access to printing services as well? Need to print out a cover letter and resumé? You know where to go.
- Free events and programs. Don’t forget to check out your local library’s calendar of events. Many libraries have something for everyone—from movie nights to exercise classes, trainings in technology, guest speakers and kids’ programs. (Note: You may need to register ahead of time.)
- Tutoring and job preparation. Some libraries offer free or discounted tutoring services with trained volunteers, either on-site or online. Need help with resumé development or career counseling? Many libraries also provide help with job preparation.
- Learning another language. Your library card often comes with access to educational language programs like Mango Languages, Power Speak Languages and Rosetta Stone. Who says language lessons have to be expensive?
Take full advantage of all the perks of your library card by asking what your local library offers.
The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of Green Dot Corporation. Any reference to any person, organization, activities, products or services related to such person or organization, or any links from this website to the website of another party, do not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation or favoring of the Green Dot Corporation.